Healthcare awareness, over the years, has not been the priority. And with the onset of the pandemic, governments all over the world got their fair share of awakening from a slumber. However, there are some state governments in India that had long foreseen the need for better healthcare facilities and initiated schemes for people to rest easy regarding the health of their loved ones.
One such scheme in effect has been the one implemented in Chhattisgarh since 2008 – the Bal Hriday Suraksha Yojana.
About the scheme
The Bal Hriday Suraksha Yojana in Chhattisgarh has been offering healthcare and free treatment for those children who are suffering from heart ailments. The scheme operates at the grass-root level and offers cardiac protection and care for children between the age of 0-15.
Under the CM Bal Hriday Suraksha yojana, the children from APL and BPL category get free treatment in local hospitals irrespective of whether the hospital in question is government-aided or private.
As of now, over 6,100 children in the state of Chhattisgarh have benefitted from the scheme so far.
Salient features of the Bal Hriday Suraksha Yojana in Chhattisgarh
The government of Chhattisgarh offers financial support to the treatment of a child who is suffering from heart conditions covered under the Bal Hriday Suraksha Yojana.
Some of the salient features are mentioned herewith:
- The government would provide up to ₹1,30,000 for normal heart operations.
- Up to ₹1,50,000 would be offered for complicated heart operations.
- ₹1,80,000 would be provided towards the patient’s surgery in case of a valve replacement.
- The scheme will also take the initiative and offer ₹50,000 for changing the heart stent.
- In addition to these financial aids offered to the people, the scheme would provide financial support for complicated treatments that include pacemakers, changing two heart stents, etc.
- The amount would be directly transferred to the bank account of the hospital and not to the beneficiary’s account.
- Once the operation stands complete, the patient will get a transport facility up to the residence right from the hospital itself.
- The patient will also get free three months follow-up by the hospital staff/doctors after the operation.
Heart ailments can be a precarious situation. With the Bal Hriday Suraksha scheme in place, children suffering from the ailment now have the state’s protection behind them.
The Chhattisgarh government ensured that in cardiac matters, it is at the heart of things, taking due initiative where needed. Cardiac procedures can often cost a fortune, and parents often run themselves into lifelong debts wanting to safeguard their children. To save families from the APL and BPL from this travesty, the Chhattisgarh government initiated the Bal Hriday Suraksha scheme.
Over the years, the scheme has saved countless lives and families from being tormented by hospital bills and unending debts. In the long run, such healthcare schemes will see a surge in implementation, and with this in our stride, India can hope to be a medically developed nation in long run.