Every year, thousands of victims fall prey to accidents. Road accidents are a serious issue, and while we could consider looking at irresponsible drivers and creating awareness, what is also needed is to provide victims with an insurance policy. To make sure that the people of Gujarat feel safe, the Vahan Akasmat Sahay Yojana has been launched by the government of Gujarat.
In road accident situations, Vahan Akasmat Sahay Yojana or Gujarat Road Accident Victim Compensation Scheme would really ease up the mind of a simple person who would otherwise, for no reason and fault of his or her, have endured the physical pain and the heartburn of having to pay high medical bills.
About the scheme
In order to provide safety and assurance to the people of Gujarat, the state government will provide free treatment of up to ₹50,000 to all road accident victims within the first 48 hours of reaching the hospital.
The beauty about this scheme is the fact that this scheme would be available for residents of Gujarat and also to visitors from another state. The victim will be able to get admitted for treatment in any of the government or private hospitals in the state.
This scheme essentially is a major step in the direction towards reducing the number of deaths due to accidents. In the case of an accident, timely medical intervention can be the deciding factor between life and death. The intention of the people is to help people who face road accidents anywhere in Gujarat.
Salient features of the Vahan Akasmat Sahay Scheme
The important features of the scheme are mentioned herewith:
- Any victim of road accidents can essentially avail of free treatment in any government or private hospital in the state.
- All expenses up to ₹50,000 of each accident victim in the first 48 hours in any hospital will be reimbursed by the State government under the Vahan Akasmat Sahay Yojana.
- Not only the residents of the state of Gujarat but even people from other states or even from other countries who happen to face an unfortunate accident in Gujarat are eligible to avail the benefits of the scheme. There also seems to be no income criteria attached towards availing the benefits of this scheme.
- The main objective of the scheme is to provide timely and best quality treatment to the victims of accidents in order to reduce the lifetime risk of accident victims as the first 48 hours after an accident are crucial for them.
- Ambulance operators will be given directions to admit road accident victims in the best hospitals near the location of the accident.
- In the case of private hospitals, they will not charge the patient up to ₹50,000 for the first 48 hours; instead, they will get this amount reimbursed from the state government.
Through the implementation of this scheme, people will no longer worry about unfortunate accidents, as the state government will look after their medical bills. This scheme, therefore, makes Gujarat an incredibly safe space for all to be.