Prime Minister Narendra Modi, launched the Jan Andolan campaign against Covid-19, on the 8th of October 2020. He announced the same through a tweet.
Jan Andolan or People’s Movement is basically a war cry on the social ills that have crept into the society due to Covid-19. Not only has the pandemic brought in a new set of worries, but it has also intensified those that have been prevalent for decades now.
There are certain principles that the Jan Andolan focuses on.
- Aspirations: Jan Angolan will aim to create a sense of aspiration and a shared identity among people and try to close the “say-do” gap among societies.
- Harbours Collective Identity: Jan Angolan will aim to create simple, do-able action plans for people so as to make it easier for them to join the initiative and participate.
- Offer rewards: incentivizing is the best option to ensure participation, and that is exactly what the scheme aims to offer. Appropriate rewards and recognition will be offered in the form of recognition among peers, appreciation letters, etc.
Objective of the Jan Andolan against Covid-19
- Jan Angolan will work towards building recognition across several sectors in the nation on the impact of nutrition and send out a ‘call-to-action’ for each of these sector’s contribution towards a long-lasting battle against covid-19
- Jan Angolan will mobilize various sectors and communities to create an intent to provide and consume nutritional food
- To offer knowledge, attitude, and a certain behavioural intent to practice optimal practices
Focus on protection
The Jan Andolan initiative shall highlight the importance of the following:
- Wearing a mask: Wearing a mask is one of the first lines of defense against the transmission of Covid-19, which sadly enough a lot of people underestimate. Jan Andolan aims to actively create awareness among the people regarding the importance of masks in the battle against the pandemic.
- Washing hands: washing hands with soap for 20 seconds is as basic a health hygiene habit as any. Through Jan Andolan, people will be made aware of the importance of washing hands.
- Do gaz ki Doori: Even though man is a social animal, social distancing has to be followed to survive the pandemic. Distancing would greatly thwart the transmission of covid-19, thereby ensuring people’s safety. To popularise the idea further, the phrase ‘do gaz ki doori’ has been made the catchphrase of the scheme.
A Concerted Action Plan will be implemented by Central Government Ministries and Departments and State governments and Territories with region-specific targeted communication that does not end up falling on deaf ears.
President Ram Nath Kovind has also joined the bandwagon and has urged fellow citizens to unite in the fight against Coronavirus. He has appealed to everyone to wear a mask, wash hands, and practice social distancing at all times.
Bollywood stars Salman Khan and Kriti Sanon have also done their bit by using their influence and urging people to join the Jan Andolan against covid by putting out tweets supporting the Andolan.