With the onset of the pandemic, academics have taken a serious hit. And while students are trying to make up for a year’s worth of backlog, they are being confronted with the lack of several resources that will help them patch up the gaps in their academics.
To enable students to get at par with their academics and get drawn into a semblance of normalcy, the Kerala government has initiated the Kerala Vidyajyothi scheme which will offer financial assistance for the purchase of uniforms and study materials to physically handicapped students.
About the Kerala Vidyajyothi Scheme
The Kerala state government has approved the Vidya Jyothi scheme as a scheme that aims to work for the academic welfare of disabled students. The prime objective of the scheme is to offer the means necessary for disabled students to be at par with their studies in the presence of all the resources they need to get by. Under the implementation of this scheme, disabled students studying in class 9th, 10th, +1, +2, ITI, Polytechnic, VHSC, Degree, Diploma, Professional courses and Post Graduation would be offered assistance amount.
The transfer of money would be done directly into the bank account of persons with disability through DBT (Direct Bank Transfer) mode. This would be done to maintain complete transparency.
Currently, based on a survey conducted by the Social Justice Department with the help of the Kerala Social Security Mission, there are 7,79, 793 disabled persons out of which 1,30,799 are below the age of 18. In the light of this knowledge, it becomes imperative to offer these students the right resources to perform well academically.
Kerala Vidyajyothi scheme online application 2021
- Firstly, the applicant has to visit the official website at http://sjd.kerala.gov.in/
- On visiting the official website, the Kerala Social Justice Department homepage will appear as shown here:
- New users can click on the “Scheme” tab which is present in the main menu.
- Click on the “Vidyajyothi scheme – Financial aid for uniforms and study materials to PH students”, to open the scheme page and on this page, go to the “Documents” section and click on the “Application forms – Financial aid for uniforms and study materials to PH students” link.
- The Kerala Vidyajyothi scheme application form PDF will open as shown here:
- The applicants can download the scheme form in PDF format and then the applicants will have to enter their necessary details accurately in the Kerala Vidya Jyothi scheme form and submit it to the concerned authorities.
Eligibility criteria for the scheme
- The applicant must be studying in a government/government-aided institution.
- Attested copies of the certificate issued by the Medical board proving disability of over 40%.
- The applicant’s annual family income is not considered under this scheme.
- The head of the institution should attest to the filled application form.
- Priority must be given to students from the BPL category.
Summing it up
In this way, students in Kerala are receiving governmental support to enable them to meet their academic goals a whole lot seamlessly.