Pregnancy is a crucial period in a woman’s life. This is where utmost care has to be taken, and not lacklustre efforts will cut it. Lack of medical intervention during delivery can have lasting effects on the health of the pregnant woman and the child as well. In order to tackle the issue, the Odisha government has launched the Sampurna Scheme 2021 for pregnant women.
Sampurna Yojana 2021
Under the implementation of the scheme, the state government will provide financial assistance for pregnant women in the state.
The objective of the scheme
The main objective of the scheme is to bring about a drastic decline in the Infant Mortality rate – the death rate of newborns, and also the Mother Mortality rate during pregnancy during the phase of pregnancy across the state of Odisha.
Under the scheme, pregnant women from various inaccessible regions manage to reach the hospital for delivery by arranging vehicles by spending their own money and will receive ₹1,000 as the transportation cost reimbursement.
The scheme, naturally, will only be applicable to pregnant women who are living in inaccessible regions where ambulance service of government hospitals and vehicular hospitals cannot reach. The scheme is expected to provide benefits to roughly about 60,000 pregnant women each year.
Details of the Sampurna scheme 2021
- Pregnant women will receive financial assistance of ₹1,000 from the state government
- This scheme is applicable only to women who are living in inaccessible regions to provide transportation cost to each hospital
- The intention of the government is to reduce the Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) and Mother Mortality Rate (MMR) during pregnancy.
- The operational zone of the scheme envelopes over 7853 villages across 30 districts of Odisha
- ₹1,000 will be transferred directly to the bank account of the beneficiary through DBT.
It was brought to the state government’s notice that a large number of prenatal mishaps occur due to pregnant women being carried to hospitals on shoulders or walking. This happens due to inaccessibility as government ambulances and other four-wheelers cannot reach the spot on time due to geographical complications.
In order to make matters less strenuous, the government has decided to offer financial reimbursement for transport to beneficiaries through DBT.
Features of the Sampurna Yojana 2021
- Budgetary allocations for Shishu Abong Matru Mrutyuhara Purna Nirakaran Yojana – Sammpurna – has been enhanced to offer complete assistance to the needy
- The state government will also provide kits to mothers and newborns per year under the implementation of the scheme
- Reimbursement of transport cost of ₹1,000 would be given to the pregnant woman through DBT.
- The state government will also provide a specified amount per day to mothers of children admitted to the NRCs.
- A certain amount would also be given to women for drop back facility after institutional delivery and sick infants after treatment in dedicated PHCs.
Summing it up
In order to provide proper facilities to women during pregnancy, they need to be brought to hospitals. With these schemes in effect, pregnant women will now be readily taken to hospitals for proper care of both – woman and child.