Farmers have had a rough time finding steadiness in their incomes for decades now. With the lockdowns being lifted up, many industries might restart with renewed rigour but the farmers are finding it difficult to cope up with the losses incurred. To help poor farmers find a footing in terms of their finances and improve their conditions, the government of India has announced the PM Kisan FPO Yojana.
About the scheme
The Pradhan Mantri Kisan FPO (Farmer Producer Organisation) Yojana is a nation-wide scheme. There will be FPOs set up across the nation which would serve as a platform allowing the transformation of farmers into business entrepreneurs. Currently, 86% of farmers fall in the small and marginal category having less than 1.1 hectares of landholding.
These FPOs would work towards the development of farmer’s income, towards empowering farmers in realizing their vision and doubling their disposable income. Up until now, farmers were only producers of crops, but now, through the implementation of the scheme, they can now negotiate the prices of their yield with traders and businesspeople and be the masters of their trade.
Benefits of the PM Kisan FPO Yojana
Here are some of the most important benefits of the PM Kisan FPO Yojana:
- The payment will be done directly to the FPO/FPCs bank account and in turn, the FPO/FPCs can distribute among the members.
- The union budget 2017-18 made provisions to install collection/sorting/ grading and packing facilities at their premises.
- The provision for a personalized dashboard will be available and there will also be real-time information provided to farmers about the arrival, quality, and price of commodities.
- FPOs will impart bargaining power to farmers and enable them to decide and secure a fair price for their yield.
- These FPOs will primarily aim to spread out across the nation, especially to block levels in tribal regions of the country and 100 aspirational districts which will benefit largely from the implementation of the scheme.
How would the payments be made under the PM Kisan FPO Yojana?
- The entire payment of the scheme will be credited to the One Bank account of FPO/FPC.
- The post-credit payment disbursal of the amount to individual member farmers has to be done by the FPO/FPC.
- FPO/FPC will be provided to the e-NAM dashboard to see MIS and several detailed reports related to the trade which would be executed by the FPOs/FPCs.
With the FPOs in place, farmers will now have a chance to get a fair price for their goods. For a long, middlemen have implemented exorbitant cuts on the prices that were rightfully belonging to the farmers.
The PM Kisan FPOs will offer farmers the platform to get more from their yield and rightfully enable them to earn a fair livelihood for themselves. The FPOs will help farmers meet their needs with dignity and finally live a life that is debt-free.
The FPOs are a great initiative towards offering farmers a life they so rightly deserve.