Unemployment is a major obstacle in India’s progress. To battle this ever-increasing drift in economic prowess, the Government of India launched the Pradhan Mantri Vikas Yojana, which aims at developing people’s skills first and then introducing them to avenues that can actually fetch means of livelihood.
This is a flagship scheme based on skill training of the youth and is implemented by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship with the support of the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
Impact of the Scheme
Considering how widespread the problem of unemployment is, the Yojana naturally was supposed to have a large wingspan. The scheme is intended to cover 10 million youth from the years 2016-2020.
Who is this scheme aimed towards?
The first in line beneficiaries of the scheme are
- The unemployed youth of the nation or college/school dropouts.
- Anyone who has a verifiable identity proof – Aadhaar / Voter ID and a legitimate bank account.
The Salient feature of this Yojana
There are considerable objectives the Yojana intends to achieve. The most important among them are
- Short term training of candidates
- Recognition of prior learning, so that the competencies of the candidate can be aligned better. When that happens, thorough assessment and tests would lead to legitimate certification which will enhance the candidate’s chances of acquiring a job.
- Kaushal and Rozgar Mela would be arranged for candidates who are actively looking for a job. The Rozgar melas or job fairs would be organized every 6 months with thorough media and press coverage
Achievements of the Scheme
The Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana aims to invest in the youth so that a quality workforce is provided to the industries around the nation. This not only solves the problem of unemployment, but it also helps elevate the nation’s economy by producing top-notch, export-quality commodities.
The placement performance of those who have enrolled in this scheme stands at a staggering 54.53%
Simply put, this means that 54.53% of students trained under this scheme have found a job to earn a means of livelihood for themselves. For a scheme that is yet in its nascent stages, 54.53% stands to be a bright figure.
A total of 1,450,757 candidates got placed across the nation, and this number increases by leaps and bounds every day.
Key Skills Imparted by the Yojana
The scheme is aimed at providing a holistic approach to industrial training of candidates who have never worked in such setups before.
Therefore, there happens to be a meticulous set of components in place to aid the professional development of applicants.
Such key components are:
- Short term training
- Recognition of Prior training
- Inclusion in special projects conducted across the nation
- Kaushal and Rozgar Mela
- Placement assistance provided to every candidate
- Continuous monitoring of candidates so that their overall progress is channelized and guided accordingly
Through such schemes, PM Narendra Modi intends to reach out to the youth of the country and put to better use the talents and the skills that often go unnoticed. Such schemes are not a charity, but a platform provided where people get a fair chance to exercise their skills and earn themselves a living they most rightfully deserve.
The Kaushal Vikas Yojana is one of the many such attempts in place to bring about a frame-shift in the current economic scenario. While the nation aims to progress in the currents of change, what brighter future awaits our young nation is something to be explored.
For more information click here.