Traditional Indian families, often from the rural parts of India, have regressive notions about the girl child. At the turn of the century, having such notions about girls of the family can prove to be detrimental not only to the society but to the nation and its progress as a whole as women have so much potential, they can offer towards national welfare.
Recognizing the problem and in an attempt to better the situation of girls, in the long run, the government has launched the Pradhanmantri Balika Anudan Yojana.
What is the Pradhanmantri Balika Anudan Yojana?
The Pradhanmantri Balika Anudan Yojana is a Grant scheme for girl child of families in India. This scheme aims to offer opportunities and financial assistance to girls. It promises to offer Rs 50,000 for the marriage of a maximum of two girls each of poor and Below Poverty Line families.
Objective of the scheme?
The main objective of the scheme is to offer financial assistance to parents of girl children who tend to look at the girl child as a burden. Marriage and the expense it incurs is usually a concern for the family due to which, more often than not, rural families tend to do away with girl children.
Another important objective of the scheme is to mitigate the issues arising due to imbalanced sex ratio in rural areas and this scheme will allow parents the confidence to birth and raise a girl child well.
What are the eligibility criteria to avail of the benefits under Pradhanmantri Balika Anudan Yojana?
- The applicant has to be someone who belongs to an economically weaker section of the society like the Below Poverty Line family
- Even if the girl is legally adopted, the family can still apply for the scheme, as the child would be considered to be an eligible beneficiary
- In order to avail the benefits of the scheme, one parent of the child should be a construction worker for at least 1 year and the contribution should be duly deposited in the bank with due proofs.
- The applicant should be availing benefit from any other government scheme designed for the welfare and towards the marriage of the girl child. If found to be the case, the application of the girl child would stand rejected.
Documents needed to apply for the scheme?
In order to avail the benefits of the Pradhanmantri Balika Anudan Yojana 2020, the following documents are needed
- Aadhaar card
- Caste certificate
- Income certificate
- Bank account – in a government bank
- Marriage certificate of the applicants
- Ration card
- Daughter’s birth certificate
- Passport size photos
Getting benefits under the Pradhanmantri Balika Anudan Yojana has gotten increasingly easier. The government intends to have the website up and running for this scheme soon. Interested applicants can then apply for the scheme and look towards a brighter future for their girl child, without having to worry too much about her education and marriage expenses.
With the government offering support towards women empowerment, India looks at the horizon with the promise of being a better nation.