About 93% of the total workforce of the country consists of workers from the unorganised sector. Alongside irregular payments and corruption that kept the workers from getting what they deserve, there also were issues like the absence of a healthcare scheme directed towards them.
Keeping in mind the welfare of the working force, which is quite literally the back bone of the nation’s economy; the government of India has implemented the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY).
This scheme basically offers social security coverage to the workers of India.
Benefits of the RSBY
The benefits of the scheme include:
- The unorganised sector worker and his family (a unit of five members) would be covered.
- A total amount of ₹30,000/- would be allotted per family per annum which would be allotted on a family floater basis.
- There would be cashless attendance to all ailments covered by the insurance scheme.
- All pre-existing conditions of the applicant would be covered by the scheme.
- Transportation costs within an overall limit of ₹1000 would be covered by the RSBY.
Funding and the implementation
The contribution towards the implementation of the scheme comes from the Government of India. The applicant would be issued a Smart card for payment and the cost of issuing the smart card would be borne by the Central government of India.
Among the total contribution towards the RSBY, 75% of it would be borne by the Central government and the remaining 25% of the annual premium would be paid by the respective state government.